This Cube Steak is a tender and juicy beef steak seared in beef broth, onion, and garlic powder, then made with the best mushroom gravy. A simple and delicious meal made in less than 30 minutes!
I love to cook beef, and steak is one of my favorite ways to do that! For more simple steak recipes, try this Garlic Butter Herb Steak Bites with Potatoes, this delicious Brown Sugar Garlic Flank Steak, or these yummy Creamy Garlic Steak Bites with Mushrooms.
Easy Cube Steak Recipe
This delicious recipe is easy to make and packs a punch with flavor. Cube steak is a type of beef cut known to be a tough piece of tender meat. Usually, it is either top round or top sirloin when purchased. It is then flattened by pounding and tenderized before cooking. Cube steak got its name because of the indentations that are on the cube steak after it has been tenderized by a meat tenderizer.
To get this meat as tender and juicy as possible, you will want to make sure you take time to tenderize your meat about 20-30 minutes before you start cooking. Once you see how delicious it turns out and you drizzle on some delicious mushroom sauce, you won’t be able to resist seconds!
Cube Steak Ingredients
This delicious meat combination with a mushroom sauce is mouth-watering and one of the best meals I have made. Our family loves to make it over and over again. To find out the exact ingredient measurements, check out the recipe card that’s at the bottom of the post.
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: These enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
- Onion Powder: This gives a slight onion flavoring to the base of the seasoning.
- Garlic Powder: The garlic flavor really adds in a delicious taste.
- Olive Oil: You can use vegetable oil or canola oil if that’s what you have instead!
- Cube Steaks: When you purchase, these will be top-round or sirloin steaks.
- Olive Oil: You will cook the onions and mushrooms in the oil.
- Onion: You can use a yellow onion or a white onion.
- Mushrooms: Slice these up to be the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Beef Broth: This acts as a base for the sauce.
- Onion Soup Mix: The onions in the soup mix complement the onions in the seasoning for the steak.
- Cornstarch and Water: Combining these two together helps thicken up the sauce.
How to Cook Cube Steak
So simple to make with only two easy steps. Then, create a delicious mushroom gravy that is out of this world good. Combined, it is the perfect combination and so delicious!
- Mix together seasoning: In a small bowl, combine the flour, pepper, salt, onion, powder, and garlic powder. Add the cube steak and coat with the flour on each side.
- Cook the cube steak: In a medium-sized skillet, add the olive oil. Over medium-high heat, add the cube steak and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- To make the mushroom gravy: Add the olive oil and sliced onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes and add in the mushrooms until they are tender and the mushrooms are golden. Add in the beef broth and onion soup mix and mix until dissolved. Combine the cornstarch and water and whisk in a small bowl. Add to the gravy and mix. Add the cube steaks back to the gravy and let simmer until the sauce has started to thicken.
Tips for Making Cube Steak
Combined, this steak and mushroom gravy is the perfect combination. It is simple to make and comes together in less than 30 minutes. These tips are here to help you better the cube steak recipe and make this over and over again.
- Let rest: It is best to allow the steaks time to rest out of the cold refrigerator about 20 to 30 minutes ahead of cooking time.
- Preparing cube steak: Be sure to remove any moisture from the cube steak by patting it dry with a paper towel. This will ensure the steak will sear evenly as well as have a crispy crust.
- Tenderize meat: Pound the steak using a meat tenderizer. This helps your steak become tender and juicy.
- Overcooking: It is best not to overcook the cube steak. It will become rubbery and hard to eat.
- Thicken gravy: Mix together a slurry or roux of cornstarch or flour with water. Slowly add it to the mushroom gravy for the desired thickness.
- Beef broth: For more flavor, add in beef broth instead of water.
Cooking Temperatures for Steak
It’s important to know what temperature to cook your steak to so that you don’t overcook it (or undercook it). I use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of my steak.
- Rare: 115 degrees Fahrenheit; Remove when it reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Medium-Rare: 125 degrees Fahrenheit; Remove when it reaches 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Medium: 135 degrees Fahrenheit; Remove when it reaches 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Medium-Well:140 degrees Fahrenheit; Remove when it reaches 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Well Done: 150 degrees Fahrenheit; Remove when it reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Store Leftovers
This cube steak recipe is delicious and tastes just as good the next day! Here are a few ways to store this delicious recipe:
- Can you make it ahead of time? Yes, the cube steak can be prepared and tenderized ahead of time to save even more time when cooking. Also, the seasoning and mushroom gravy can be made ahead of time separately and stored in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours ahead of time.
- Can you freeze steak? Yes! This makes a great freezer meal. After cooking your steak, let it cool completely and place it in a ziplock bag or airtight container. Add the steak with the gravy to the bag and freeze, laying flat for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- How to reheat cube steak: Cube steak can be warmed up on a skillet on medium-low heat or in the microwave.
In a small bowl combine the flour, pepper, salt, onion, powder and garlic powder. Add the cube steak and coat with the flour on each side.
In a medium sized skillet add the olive oil. Over medium high heat add the cube steak and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
To make the mushroom gravy: Add the olive oil and sliced onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes and add in the mushrooms until they are tender and mushrooms are golden. Add in the beef broth and onion soup mix and mix until dissolved. Combine the cornstarch and water and whisk in a small bowl. Add to the gravy and mix. Add the cube steaks back to the gravy and let simmer until sauce has started to thicken.
Calories257kcal (13%)Carbohydrates11g (4%)Protein18g (36%)Fat16g (25%)Saturated Fat4g (20%)Cholesterol54mg (18%)Sodium404mg (17%)Potassium390mg (11%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium22mg (2%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.