This is one of those many Bread Recipes that you can make for snacks when throwing a party or a get-together at your home. Not just that, even if you are wanting to indulge in something really different and tasty once a while, this Bread Cheese Roll will be at your service. This is an easy to prepare bread roll with a spiced cheesy potato stuffing. Another good thing about this Cheese Roll is that it is baked. So, you can actually eat a piece or two, without feeling extremely guilty!
About Cheese Roll
As I said earlier, here I have shared a recipe of Cheese Roll which is basically a healthy version of a bread roll with a cheese stuffing and baked. So, there’s the usual fried version of a Bread Roll and then there’s this baked Bread Cheese Roll.
Of course, fried food has its own charm but there’s absolutely no harm in having baked food, once a while. This not only balances out the calorie intake. In fact, you don’t have to really exercise harder as you do after consuming sinfully fried snacks.
However, this is a Cheese Roll recipe, which means it has a decent quantity of cheese in it. So, you have to put some effort in burning that part of calorie intake. But not so much as compared to the fried rolls, as this one is baked and is much more wholesome that way.
Now if you ask me which cheese is best for this baked Bread Cheese Roll, I will say, use either cheddar or processed cheese. But in case you are wanting to experiment it with mozzarella cheese to get a stringy, gooey effect, then go for it. You can also make these rolls with any bread variety.
In addition to the bread, cheese and potatoes, other ingredients that go in the stuffing are your usual everyday pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander leaves and salt. You can brush the Cheese Roll with oil or even butter.
I often make this delicious Bread Cheese Roll as a quick snack on days when I prefer to bake, rather than sauté or fry. Baking or grilling is better as I just need to place the food in the oven and let it get done.
This recipe of Cheese Roll shared here is just a basic method and you can choose the stuffing you want. I usually go for the classic potato-cheese combination. Sometimes, I also add some boiled green peas, cooked carrots or green beans in the filling.
You can choose the veggies you want. You can also opt for flavors you prefer by using your choice of herbs and spices. This recipe is a super hit with kids too, as its low on the spice quotient.
Serve the crispy golden baked Bread Cheese Roll as an evening snack or as a brunch with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney. They also make for a great starter snack.
How to make Cheese Roll
1. First, boil 1 medium to large potato till it is completely cooked. Peel and chop.
You can cook the potato in a pan on the stovetop, a pressure cooker or the Instant Pot adding water as needed.
2. Mash the potatoes while still warm and keep aside.
3. Then, grate 50 grams cheddar cheese. You can use any cheese like processed cheese or cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese.
In cup measurement, you should get ½ cup tightly packed grated cheese.
4. Add the grated cheddar, ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves and a pinch or two of salt to the mashed potatoes.
5. Mix very well and set aside.
Make Cheese Roll
6. Thinly slice the edges/corners from 9 to 10 bread slices.
7. With a rolling pin, flatten the bread slightly. Apply light pressure. If rolled too much, then the bread slice will tear.
8. Spread a thin layer of butter on the flattened bread slice.
9. Take 2 tablespoons of the potato-cheese mixture and place it on one side of the flattened bread slice.
10. Brush some water on the 4 edges of the slices. You can also dip your fingertips in water and moisten the edges.
11. Now, gently cover the bread slice and press the edges to form a rectangular roll. You can also moisten your fingers with some water and then press.
Baking Cheese Roll
12. Prepare all the Bread Cheese Rolls this way and place on a baking tray. No need to grease the tray.
Lightly brush some oil on the rolls. Don’t brush too much oil as the bread absorbs a lot of oil at room temperature.
The bread I used was crumbly and not easy to roll. If there are tiny tears, then no issues.
Also remember to preheat your oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C/390 degrees F before you bake these rolls.
13. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C/390 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or till the roll becomes golden and crisp. As oven temperatures vary, keep a check while baking.
14. Once done, remove from the oven and serve Cheese Roll hot or warm with some tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.
- You can make these rolls with any bread that you have at home – whole wheat, brown or white.
- Cheddar cheese or processed cheese are best for this recipe. You can even try the recipe with mozzarella cheese.
- In addition to the potato-cheese stuffing, you can add your choice of veggies, spices and herbs in the filling. Green beans, carrot and green peas also taste great in the stuffing.
- While moistening the edges of the bread slices, you can either use a brush to do so or dip your fingertips in water and then moisten the edges.
- You don’t have to grease the baking tray before placing the prepared rolls on it. Make sure to lightly brush the rolls. Do not brush too much oil on the rolls as the bread absorbs a lot of oil at room temperature.
- While baking the rolls, keep a check as the temperatures vary from oven to oven.
- If you have leftover stuffing, you can make regular sandwiches, wraps or rolls or stuffed parathas with it.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Cheese Roll | Bread Cheese Roll
This is an easy to prepare Cheese Roll with a spiced cheesy potato stuffing. Another good thing about this Bread Cheese Roll is that it is baked and not fried. The recipe can be made with whole wheat bread, white bread or brown bread.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 35 mins
Prevent your screen from going dark while making the recipe
- First boil 1 medium to large potato till its completely cooked and tender. Peel, chop and keep aside.You can opt to cook the potato in a pan, in a stovetop pressure cooker or the Instant Pot adding water as needed.
Mash the potatoes when they are still warm.
Then grate 50 grams cheese. You could use any cheese like processed cheese or cheddar cheese.
Add the grated cheese, black pepper powder, cumin powder and chopped coriander leaves to the mashed potatoes. Also add a pinch or two of salt.
Mix very well and keep aside.
Making cheese roll
Thinly slice the edges from the bread.
With a rolling pin, flatten the bread slightly. Apply a light pressure. If rolled too much then the bread slice tears.
Spread a thin layer of softened butter on the slices.
Take 2 tablespoon of the potato-cheese stuffing and place it on one side of the bread.
Brush some water over the four edges of the slices. You can also dip your fingertips in water and moisten the edges.
Now gently cover the bread slice and press the edges to form a rectangular roll. You can also moisten your fingers with some water and then press.
- Prepare cheese rolls this way and place on a baking tray. No need to grease the tray. Lightly brush some oil on the rolls. Don’t brush too much oil as the bread absorbs a lot of oil at room temperature. Just brush lightly.
Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C/390 degrees F before baking.
Baking bread cheese roll
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C/390 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or till the cheese rolls become golden and crisp.
As oven temperatures vary, do keep a check while baking.
Once done remove them from the oven.
Serve these baked Cheese Roll hot or warm with some tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.
- Use either cheddar or processed cheese. You can also try making the cheese rolls with mozzarella cheese.
- While I have keep the seasonings simple, feel free to add your preferred seasonings and spices.
- You can use a few days old bread. Whole wheat bread, white bread, brown bread – all work well.
Cheese Roll | Bread Cheese Roll
Amount Per Serving
Calories 312 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Trans Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Vitamin A 314IU6%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.3mg20%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin B12 0.1µg2%
Vitamin C 11mg13%
Vitamin D 0.1µg1%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 7µg7%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 38µg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Cheese Roll from the archives first published in May 2015 has been republished and updated on January 2023.