This recipe will teach you how to make queso blanco from scratch just like they serve at your favorite Mexican restaurant (without Velveeta!). It’s made of high quality cheese and fresh ingredients which come together to make the perfectly creamy dip!
Is there anything better than a cheesy dip? I can’t resist making dip for every party I throw because everyone loves them. They are super quick and easy to whip up and are a total crowd pleaser. For your next party, you have to try this Super Easy Beer Cheese Dip, this delicious Baked Cream Cheese Sala Dip, and this Rotel Dip.
Queso Blanco Recipe
I absolutely love Mexican food! It’s always my family’s first choice when we are eating out. And everytime we go, we always have to order some queso blanco. It’s irresistible! I can fill up on it before my meal even arrives. I finally realized that this dish would be such a hit for my friends and party guests. Let me tell you, this recipe does not disappoint!
A cheesy dip is something that can please everyone. For the corn lovers, I whip up hot corn dip. I have never gotten turned down for my hot spinach artichoke dip, it’s always gobbled up super fast. I am obsessed with my crack chicken dip, and so is everyone else. So I was actually pretty suprised that when I served this queso blanco dip, everyone said it was their favorite! The best part is, it’s so easy to whip up I will definitely be making it all the time.
I really love queso blanco because there are so many ways to make it! It’s a delicious blend of quality cheeses and fresh flavors like jalapenos and green chiles. They all blend together to make the most delicious cheesy dip. White American cheese is going to be your new favorite! You can find the full measurements below in the recipe card.
- White American Cheese: White American cheese is a mild flavor that is sweet and salty. It has kind of a crumbly texture but it will melt really well. You can use any white cheese that you like as long as it is a cheese that will melt well.
- Chopped Green Chiles: The easiest thing to do is to buy a can of diced green chiles.
- Pickled Jalapeno and Juice: Pickled jalapneo is such a great flavor because they have a mild spice and also a nice sharpness because of the vinegar. The juice has SO much flavor, you are definitely going to want to take advantage of that!
- Whole Milk: Whole milk has lots of fat in it which helps add a lot of flavor to the dip, and makes it has a really nice consistency.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder has a really nice sweet and savory flavor. You could add fresh onions if you wanted to, or you could saute them first so they are soft and more flavorful.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is so great with all of these flavors. It really highlights all of the savory notes in the cheese.
- Cumin: Cumin is so rich and hearty, and it actually has a little hint of citrus flavor.
- Kosher Salt: A high quality salt is always going to make your dish taste better. Salt will help to bring out all of the flavors in the dip.
How to Make Queso Blanco
This queso blanco dip is seriously so easy to make. It’s a quick recipe that I know you’ll be making again and again. I think it’s perfect amount of salty and savory, and served with tortilla chips it’s hard to beat. It’s perfect for a watch party or just a snack when you are in the mood.
- Heat: Add the cheese and milk to a large saucepan and heat over medium-low heat.
- Stir: Continue to stir until melted.
- Whisk: Once melted add in green chiles, jalapenos, pickled jalapeno juice, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Whisk to combine.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Tips for Making Queso Blanco
This queso blanco dip is really so easy, there isn’t much to it! I thought I would include a few fun tips that I’ve really loved incorporating into this dip. It’s so flavorful, you can make it exactly as the recipe is written, or you can change it up with these tips.
- Add Fresh Herbs: Of course, the first one that comes to mind is cilantro. It’s really great served on top! You could also add green onion or parsley, both add lots of great flavor.
- Turn Up the Spice: If you love spice, there are some great ways to add more to this dip! You can add some cayenne pepper or some fresh serrano to really kick up the spice level! If you are on the other end of the scale and don’t like spice, definitely don’t add the seeds of the jalapeño, or leave the pepper out altogether.
- Use the Crockpot: This is a great dip to make in your crockpot! Just add all of your ingredients to the pot and let it cook on low for 1-2 hours stirring occasionally to help all of the flavors come together.
Queso can be really easy to reheat, so it actually makes great leftovers. Make sure when you reheat it you don’t get it too hot or it might separate. Here is how to store your leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftover queso blanco in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Add the cheese and milk to a large saucepan and heat over medium-low heat.
Continue to stir until melted.
Once melted add in green chiles, jalapenos, pickled jalapeno juice, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Whisk to combine.
Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Calories232kcal (12%)Carbohydrates4g (1%)Protein11g (22%)Fat19g (29%)Saturated Fat11g (55%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat5gTrans Fat1gCholesterol60mg (20%)Sodium1023mg (43%)Potassium135mg (4%)Fiber0.2g (1%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A635IU (13%)Vitamin C2mg (2%)Calcium633mg (63%)Iron0.5mg (3%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.